Winter Flu Jab Services
Help keep bugs at bay this winter with the free NHS flu vaccination or our private flu jab service to protect against 4 strains of flu*
The free NHS flu vaccination at Wraysbury Village Pharmacy
Flu can be serious for those more at risk of developing complications and these people are entitled to a free NHS jab. We offer the free NHS flu jab to eligible people aged 18. These include pregnant women, carers, social care workers and those with certain medical conditions.
Am I eligible for the NHS flu jab?
Our specially-trained staff will check if you’re eligible for the free NHS flu jab following a short consultation and the completion of a questionnaire. If you fall into one of the clinical risk groups who are advised to have the flu jab on the NHS, we may be able to provide a free NHS jab if you are registered with a GP in England or Wales, are aged 18 or over, and you:
• Are aged 65 or over (or will turn 65 by 31 March 2020)
• Are pregnant
• Are a health or social care worker working in a residential or a nursing home, a hospice or with a home care provider
• Are a resident of a nursing or residential home
• Share a household with someone who has an impaired immune system
• Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more
Care for someone whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill. Carer status may include:
• People aged 18 or over who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance
• Those aged 18 or over who are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person
Have a certain medical condition such as:
• Lung disease, including asthma if you’re on a preventer inhaler
• Heart, kidney or liver conditions
• Lowered immunity due to disease (such as HIV) or treatment (for example steroid medication or cancer treatment) or you have had your spleen removed
• Long-term neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis
Private flu vaccination
If you’re not eligible for the free NHS flu jab, we offer a private Winter Flu Jab Service for customers aged 18 and over.
Why get a flu jab?
If you want help to stay healthy and prevent the spread of flu among family, friends and work colleagues, taking advantage of the winter flu jab at Wraysbury Village Pharmacy is a good first step. Flu is contagious and it can be passed through coughing, sneezing or by touching contaminated surfaces. Most flu outbreaks usually happen in late autumn or winter, and, for most people, it’s an unpleasant but not a life-threatening condition.
What protection will the flu jab provide?
No vaccine is 100 percent effective, but being vaccinated is likely to give you effective protection against the strains of flu virus contained in the vaccination. This includes swine flu. Following the vaccination, it takes around 14-21 days to be protected against flu.
Benefits of the service
• Convenient: No appointment needed, just pop into the pharmacy Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm.
• Flexible: No appointment needed, just pop into the pharmacy.
• Advice: Get any questions answered by our pharmacist
* For customers aged up to 65. For those aged 65+, NHS Winter Flu Jab Services use a different vaccine that is recommended for this age group, subject to availability